[Noisebridge-discuss] meadmaking workshop?

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 21:36:07 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm no mead expert... but I did recently make a delicious Goji (gou qi
zi) berry mead (honey wine... duh).
I made 5 gallons of mead recently and my friends and I have been
consuming it at an astronomical rate.
It tastes good even though it isn't aged. I've heard usually meads
need to be aged at least a few months
before they taste good.

If there is enough interest we could have a mead making workshop.
My idea is to evenly split the cost of the honey and other ingredients
and then split the resulting mead.

I have some concerns; we don't want the mead must to get contaminated.
Noisebridge is sometimes crowded and chaotic and there are rats too...
I suspect it would be a challenging place to make mead but I'm up for
the challenge
if other people want to help out.

We need a large stock pot, a non-wooden stir spoon, 2 glass carboy,
siphon (could be just a hose...);
Here's the basic recipe I follow:
http://www.bardicbrews.net/2010/06/basic-mead-recipe/

Oh and that weird startrek stove might work with a smaller stock pot
which we can use
to heat up a small amount of water to dissolve the honey.

What do you think?

Cheers,

David