[Noisebridge-discuss] Occupy API structure

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sun Nov 20 00:09:59 UTC 2011

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/11/a-guide-to-the-occupy-wall-street-api-or-why-the-nerdiest-way-to-think-about-ows-is-so-useful/248562/

A Guide to the Occupy Wall Street API, Or Why the Nerdiest Way to Think
About OWS Is So Useful
NOV 16 2011, 4:38 PM ET 110
The most fascinating thing about Occupy Wall Street is the way that the
protests have spread from Zuccotti Park to real and virtual spaces across
the globe. Metastatic, the protests have an organizational coherence
that's surprising for a movement with few actual leaders and almost no
official institutions. Much of that can be traced to how Occupy Wall
Street has functioned in catalyzing other protests. Local organizers can
choose from the menu of options modeled in Zuccotti, and adapt them for
local use. Occupy Wall Street was designed to be mined and recombined, not
simply copied.

This idea crystallized for me yesterday when Jonathan Glick, a long-time
digital journalist, tweeted, "I think #OWS was working better as an API
than a destination site anyway." If you get the idea, go ahead and skip
ahead to the documentation below. If you don't get, let me explain why it
might be the most useful way of thinking about #Occupy.