[Noisebridge-discuss] Money for new Stallion (Pony) VM server

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Sat Nov 5 01:35:00 UTC 2011

Argh, screw this.  It's a terrible time to buy a machine.

Intel: Good CPU options, but they're intentionally limiting memory on
single socket to un-buffered dimms.  This means 4x4GB dimms = 16GB max per
machine.  This is kinda crap, but possibly workable for a VM server.

AMD: Too power hungry on the current 8-core chips (115W TDP)

It's possible something like this would work:

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL+-F - $180
*  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182262
Intel Xeon E3-1230 Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz - $240
* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115083
2x Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $160
* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148380

Total - $580

But we'd be maxed out at 16GB of ram for that system.

The AMD option would have room for way more ram (8x 8GB = 64GB)

SUPERMICRO MBD-H8SGL-F-O - $250
* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182230
AMD Opteron 6128 Magny-Cours 2.0GHz (8 core) - $250
* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105266
16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered - $230
* http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161460

Total - $730

-ben