[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge.net has joined the "Stop Censorship" movement

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed Nov 16 18:55:20 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:04 AM, aestetix aestetix <aestetix at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> It turns out there is a nasty bill floating through US Congress right now
> (called Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA), and privacy groups like the EFF
> are rightfully concerned about it. Among other things, this bill would
> expand government abilities to takedown websites to the DNS level, allowing
> the US to effectively blacklist entire websites. This is not cool.
>
> The EFF and several other groups (reddit, mozilla, and others) have
> decided to bring attention to this by "censoring" their logos. We've
> "censored" the Noisebridge.net logo on the website for the day (November
> 16) to join the effort and support free speech on the internet. You can
> find more information about this effort at http://americancensorship.org/.

For those about to worry about this sort of thing, this kind of lobbying
against specific legislation is fine for us as a 501(c)3, as long as the
money and time we spend on it doesn't approach or exceed 10% of our overall
budget and staff time. (The IRS does not give an exact figure, but it's
generally understood that as long as you don't approach this %age, you're
okay.)

As we spent no money and the effort was measured in milli-aestetix hours,
we're good.

d.