[Noisebridge-discuss] NoiseLand

Brink of Complexity brink.0x3f at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 06:53:27 UTC 2011

Sometimes communications companies sell land with radio/cell towers and concrete bunkers and random equipment on them at the cheap, like at auction.  Sometimes they're in desirable places, sometimes not. Just a thought.

I think ambient energy harvesting can be added to the power supply list, and while it won't produce as much juice as a crowded city, patching together many different sources of energy is probably a good way to go.

Also, I'm dying to build some earthen houses (have studied it, but don't have land), and want a place to put my 200W 6-node compute cluster and associated self-powered mesh community/environment sensor net, but I don't have anywhere to do these things.

Also, I have a passion for teaching astronomy (esp. navigational astronomy) to city dwellers who never get to see the stars -> and it's a great intro to chemical absorption/emission spectra -> red/blue shifts -> optics and wave mechanics -> signals analysis... which I guess the compute cluster can also come in handy for, since we can then set up some radio observatories and continuously analyze the sky ...

Setting up the plumbing efficiently will also be useful - so that the same furnaces that heat the ovens heat the houses and also run the distillation chambers (we will have distillation chambers, right? say yes.)

I want to play at NoiseLand, and would be happy to share in building and teaching.

(As long as I don't get attacked and kicked out by douchebags for minding my own business while using lights.)

- Brink