[Noisebridge-discuss] Moving into the 21st century w/ NB computing culture ...

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 05:47:52 UTC 2011

One thing is on google+ you plus things which shows how many people agree
with some statement.

A big thing is just the organizing and the interface. I just started using
Facebook and Google+ in the last year or so and it seems a lot easier and
more modern (and more friendly i mean in an interpersonal sense) than email
much of the time. I have been using the email sorts of discussion lists for
a long time.

The disadvantage of social networking approach is to me that things go away
after a time, their existence in the stream is transient. However you are
allowed to have pages/notes that persist. For the mailing lists you always
have the archives to search which is great for technical issues, but not as
much I think for social / community issues. For an open source system maybe
this is less of an issue since archives belong to us not to The Man.

Also I do believe the NB should be a community leader in open software
especially that which helps build community.

If adopted a google+ like circles feature then you could have circles and
sub circles and super circles very easily dynamic as interests warrant. So
go the need for multiple mailing lists.

Anyway could just throw something up on the server and see if people use it
and if it becomes popular then cool.

Like some systems Low End Mac mailing lists somehow integrated themselves
with Google Groups in such a way that you can go all either one way or
another or several options in between (like email with links that take you
to the discussion page; or / and let you reply if you want but it gets also
posted on the forum; or you can just go play at the forum; as you choose).