[Noisebridge-discuss] PCB fab places?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Nov 24 00:57:53 UTC 2011

You can fab boards at noisebridge.  Its not that hard, i've done it many
times.

You take some glossy paper (i used to buy cheap inkjet paper, and then i
discovered that glossy magazine pages work just as well) and a blank
circuitboard (we have tons of the stuff in the PCB bin on the shelf)

print your board pattern (mirror image) with a LASER PRINTER onto the
glossy paper,

clean the circuitboard with a green slightly abrasive dishsponge, with
running water and soap, polishing it to a dull shine, rinse off the soap,
and put it in a toaster oven to dry it off.

put some regular paper down on the table, put the circuitboard on that,
and now put the toner-side down glossy paper onto the circuitboard.  Now
put a couple layers of regular paper on top of that.

Now, iron it!  use a clothes iron, set to the highest temperature, and
iron the shit out of the whole thing.  It takes practice, or you can get
me to do it and i'll show you, but when you're done, all the toner is
transferred to the circuitboard.

After it cools, take off the paper and see your art on the board.  If
there are any spots where the toner didn't take, use a paint pen or nail
polish or pretty much anything to touch it up (even Sharpie works) and
mask off other areas (or the other side, if it's a two-sided board)

then throw it in the Ferric Chloride.. yes we have some.

After a few minutes in the FeCl the board is etched - you can see it
happening.  Take it out, rinse it off (don't get FeCl on the stainless
steel sink though) and now clean off the toner with a solvent (nail polish
remover works, as do other things) and start drilling holes.

If you set up your software to print holes as holes in the printout, you
will now have little divets on your copper pattern.  It's easy to get the
little drillbit to center on these holes because the copper deflects the
drillbit until it's centered.  A child could do it!

lemme know if you want help.

-jake