[Noisebridge-discuss] Touch panel hacking

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Mon Nov 28 04:33:10 UTC 2011

If you mount one small tablet outside each classroom, you can have them by
default showing a google calendar showing which group is scheduled to use
the room for that day/week/whatever.  I've seen this done in co-working
spaces with those digital picture frames, but I think the actual frame that
was used isn't being made anymore.

--S

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:

> Most of these embedded solutions I'm looking at cost around $120 - $150,
> then you need a power supply, and most likely a way to get VGA out.
>
> I just realized we could simply buy a bunch of cheap Android tablets,
> mount them to the walls, and be done with it. Looking at a couple off of
> Amazon for under $100. The only downsides are they're 7" wide, and a
> shiny object to walk off. The upshot is this is suck an easy solution,
> they can get installed anywhere really easily, and the touch screen
> isn't going to be running over a very flaky serial connection.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Rubin
> rubin at starset.net