[Noisebridge-discuss] Consensus Reading List

Lorah Gross lorah at lorah.net
Wed Nov 30 22:25:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Tom <noisebridge at flamsmark.com> wrote:

> In addition to the two pages on the wiki, are what other sites, pages,
> resources, books, mailing list archives &c. would be valuable? I'm looking
> for things that describe the purpose of consensus, how to do it, advanced
> tips, things that work, things that don't work, examples of things going
> well and poorly and so forth.

I used to share studio space at Cellspace, a place that also runs by
consensus. After some quick digging through old email, I found the
list of books that someone recommended (see below).

You might also contact them directly and see what else they recommend.
In some ways they are like Noisebridge (it's not just an event space,
there are artist studios, a sewing shop, a wood shop, etc.).

Also, in college I belonged to a food coop that operated on consensus
and they would periodically invite Quakers to come and give workshops
on facilitating consensus. I'm not a big fan of the consensus model
personally, but for people who really believed in it, the facilitation
workshops were thought to be particularly helpful.

Lorah

Consensus through conversation: How to achieve high-commitment
decisions by Larry Dressler. ** (89 pages/thorough and concise/easy
read/available at the library/$11 new on Amazon)

Facilitator’s Guide to Participatory Decision-Making by Sam Kaner.

A Handbook for Consensus Decision Making: Building United Judgment by
Michael Avery, et al.

How to Make Collaboration Work: Powerful Ways to Build Consensus,
Solve Problems, and Make Decisions by David Straus and Thomas C.
Layton.

How to Make Meetings Work by Michael Doyle and David Straus.

A Manual for Group Facilitators by Brian Auvine, et al.