[Noisebridge-discuss] can you write a PID loop for humidistat in Arduino

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Oct 26 09:12:55 UTC 2011

Hello mushroom fans (not the spinning kind)

I have stepped up to make this arduino-based humidity controller for the
noisebridge mushroom project.  I have hooked up the SHT15 humidity (and
temperature) sensor to the arduino, and i'm getting readings of
temperature and humidity.

I will now attach a relay to the arduino, and make it so that it can
control the relay from a pin.  That relay will be wired to an AC socket so
that the humidifier above the mushroom closet can be activated by the
arduino.

The goal is to maintain the specified humidity inside the mushroom closet.
When it gets too low, the humidifier turns on.

I understand we need a PID loop, which stands for Period Interval Delta or
something like that.  Basically a software loop which reads the humidity
and decides when to turn the relay on and off to achieve a smooth
humidity-regulating action.

Here is an arduino PID library discussion (it's already written)
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1226431507

and here's the arduino sketch which reads the humidity/temperature sensor
(and just displays it out the serial port)
http://wiring.org.co/learning/basics/humiditytemperaturesht15.html

if you are a good programmer and would like to help the mushroom
cultivation happening at noisebridge (and elsewhere) please write to me
indicating your interest in doing the software for this project.

thanks!
-jake