[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Frantisek Apfelbeck algoldor at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 04:59:06 UTC 2011

> Trouble with unwelcome guests? Why let them in the first place?
>
> Members-only does not mean inaccessible: anyone is welcome any time if
> a member speaks for them.

Because many awesome people at Noisebridge (including some who
eventually became members) did not know anyone in the space when they
first arrived.

~leif

This is a good point Leif.  I personally could not effort be a Noisebridge member from the beginning of my interaction with the place. It took me several months to realize what is actually hacker space about and what it is not. Now when I'm continuing my journey around the globe, deeply involved in the hacker movement, I'm very glad that my "alma mater" is Noisebridge. The idea of openness and be excellent to each other works actually very well in most of the situations.

However people should keep in mind that Noisebridge is located in one of the more dangerous parts of San Francisco and there should be some barriers to keep the people who would like to be in and are welcome safe. I remember that at the beginning in the new space, you really have to ring the door bell and someone would answer and meet you upstairs. If you did so in the middle of the night and no one was in, well lets try next day maybe. To leave completely unknown people in the space during the night doesn't seems to me very responsible towards the place. I think that the last member leaving the place should have the right to ask people to leave if he feels that their presence may be harmful for the place. We do not exercise membership "privileges" very often but this may be a case when quite a lots of people would agree with that (my assumption and a bit dated experience) and it could actually work quite pretty well because it would be not rule after
 all but guideline. People who are in the space and want to continue to be a part of the space would most probably understand and respect it. For me if there is a "trusted" community member present, member or non member, fine, he is basically a the guarantee that things are going to be OK (if he doesn't like such responsibility, he may ask the people to leave or leave too). But have completely unknown people alone in the place on the regular basis is actually not very social I would say. So trusted member of the community in the place especially during night would be beneficial I would say. To be absolutely honest I think that Noisebridge has enough support/potential to have someone trusted in the place 24/7 if approached as a project.

Anyway it looks like that the guideline above not leaving strangers in the place alone during the night is in practice quite for a while and it works probably quite pretty well.

Some places in Europe, like for example c-base, have managed to create places which are open to general public and parts of the hackerspase which is member only. However I do not think that such solution is really architecturally suitable for Noisebridge even if it had general support, which may not be the case (I generally like completely open places).

Sincerely,

Frantisek