[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 23:27:04 UTC 2011

I just want to clarify this some more. So the members-only hours thing
would be a solution to people coming to Noisebridge who keep crashing
and sleeping overnight at the space (which has almost always been
non-members). This has some apparent downsides, but I think we can
hack around them so they won't be significant obstacles.

We could hold off on implementing for four or five weeks (or even
longer) so that current non-members could go through the membership
process. That way we this plan doesn't interrupt non-members from
being at the space late at night.

Noisebridge intentionally made as painless a membership process as
possible. You just fill out a membership form with your name (or even
pseudonym) and get two members to sign. After four weeks, show up to a
Tuesday meeting and people consense on it. In the last three years, I
think only two people have ever been rejected for membership.

And if membership dues are a problem, there's a clever hack that they
can just put their membership on hiatus after becoming members.

So this seems like a lot of work, but it's not really: we do nothing
for the first several weeks, people fill out a form and get a couple
signatures, and then they don't have to pay dues.

For people who are introduced to Noisebridge later, I don't think this
would scare them off. If anything, if they were hacking on stuff until
midnight and saw that the space was closing for non-members, they
would probably want to become members and more involved with the space
(especially if they didn't have to commit to $80 or $40 a month as a
prereq). (Though then the month-long thing _would_ be a pain. Maybe
have it as hours for members and applicants then?)

And remember, this is just an idea for a way to encourage people to
use the space to hack on stuff rather than as a bedroom. I'm just
mentioning all this hiatus membership and what-not stuff to assuage
concerns that members-only hours would be an unnecessarily large
obstacle. It's way easier to prevent people from crashing at NB at
midnight rather than booting out sleepers at 7 in the morning. But if
there are other ways of encouraging people to not crash at Noisebridge
that other than having members-only hours, then we can just ditch this
idea.

-Al