[Noisebridge-discuss] Are people okay with people sleeping at the Noisebridge space?

Al Sweigart asweigart at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 00:42:30 UTC 2011

I really advise the whole dumping-water or
drawing-on-their-face-with-sharpies approach. One, it'll cause a lot
of drama and two, it's not really necessary because we can just wake
them. Even if we have the option of calling the police if they get
violent, I don't want to provoke anyone to that point.

But the other problem is, say one person asks someone to leave, and
then another person says they don't have to leave. Then we have a
stalemate and it just comes down to who has the stronger/more
dominating personality to get their way. When I woke people up and
told them to leave, on some occasions they just stay there anyway
after giving me a "you're not the boss of me" spiel, or they're just
back sleeping there the next night. It's easier for crashers to keep
sleeping at Noisebridge than it is for people to wake them up, so
they're going to win that war of attrition in the long run. Also, it's
really intimidating to wake people up (and more so to ask them to
leave), so most people don't want to do it even if they think someone
should.

The core of it is that you can't *make* anyone do anything at
Noisebridge. And there's no system of punishments/warnings short of
banning or temporarily banning people, which is a big deal and kind of
a nuclear option. (This is both good and bad, in that we don't waste
time on minor "rule breaking" but also don't prevent problems before
they get really big and dramatic.)

I think the members-hours thing would be a good way to short-circuit
the whole thing. It prevents sleeping overnight by people who don't
even want to become members, and nobody has to directly confront
sleepers. And I think if we plan it out, we can work around any of the
downsides to members-hours too.

-Al