[Noisebridge-discuss] tonights meeting, banning Jay

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Sep 14 01:00:05 UTC 2011

At last weeks' meeting, there were a number of people who were on-board
with permanently 86ing Jay, the person who spilled beer on Kayla's
computer and many other non-excellent actions and episodes.

I specifically and repeatedly expressed that I was proposing a permanent
ban, and a few people stated that they would block on principle, saying
that banning someone is a consensus item that requires a week's advance
notice for discussion.  After the meeting, I spoke with Jason (i think)
who agreed that a permanent ban was appropriate and walked toward the
notetaker stating that he would make sure the weeklong process would
begin.  I don't see my proposal mentioned anywhere in the meeting notes
but I did make the proposal and I think people should consider that
proposal tonight.

I will not be attending the meeting, because of something else happening.
But I wasn't the only one who thought we had had enough of Jay, and aside
from folks playing Devil's advocate (to a fault) i think we had consensus
last week.  Either way, here are some things to consider:

Jay said "Last Night Duncan spilled a beer on Kayla's computer, then tried
to blame it on me. I was nowhere near him nor was I anywhere near the
computer."
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-September/024790.html

Kayla said "Last night at noisebridge a man known as to me as Jay was
inebriated and spilled beer on to my $ 3000 15in Macbook Pro."
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-September/024794.html

Duncan said "Last night he was very intoxicated and, as I sat next to
Kayla on the couch eating a burrito and enjoying the 1 beer I got with it,
he came over to get a laptop off the table and wanted to apologize for an
outburst he had at me earlier.  All fine and good until he decided he
wanted a hug from me, comes over into me sitting down after I'd verbally
thanked but declined, stumbles on a power cord, and drunkenly slurs/knocks
into me... knocking the newly opened beer in my hand and splashing it all
into the keyboard of Kayla's Macbook Pro laptop.  Seeing it was his
intoxication that had caused it, Kayla was furious as her computer was
dead by appearance.
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-September/024798.html

Instead of reading Jay's long other emails denying responsibility for
everything he's accused of, just look at the simple fact that he lied to
everyone about his involvement with this one, very serious incident.
There are several more people who witnessed the events that night
including Rolf and Alex and there is no doubt about what happened.

I think this one statement alone should be enough for us to realize, as a
community, that this person can't be trusted in the space or allowed to
come to noisebridge ever again.

As if that weren't enough, i think it's clear at this point that Jay stole
the Carl Zeiss microscope and sold it on Castro street.  You can read
about the discussion in the meeting notes:
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2011-September/024838.html

But the crux of it is this.  A few days before the meeting Duncan had
asked someone (RayC?) if a microscope was missing.  RayC asked around and
Mike Kan confirmed that the black Carl Zeiss microscope was missing.
Duncan told RayC that he had seen Jay selling a microscope along with
other items on the street in the Castro.

I found out about this on Tuesday, and before the meeting I talked with
Mike and Danny about it.  Danny interviewed Duncan before the meeting and
Duncan shrank back from certainty about seeing a microscope when he saw
Jay selling on Castro, but he gave RayC permission to repeat what he had
told him earlier (that he had seen one).

During the meeting Jay was asked what he does for money, and he listed
activities which included selling his artwork on the sidewalk of the
Castro.  This confirmed that he had been selling things from where he was
seen by Duncan.  The microscope is definitely gone:
http://www.arsmachina.com/carl_zeiss_binocular.htm

So the only possibilities are:
1. Jay stole the microscope and sold it on Castro, and Duncan saw it.
2. Duncan is a clever mastermind who stole the microscope and framed Jay
for it, after spotting him innocently selling Artwork on the Castro and
inserting the story about seeing a microscope there.
3. Duncan noticed that the microscope was missing and decided to chance
that it wasn't borrowed by someone on the discuss list (as I am doing) and
used the opportunity to frame Jay, after spotting him at the Castro and
modifying his story only slightly to make it seem true.

Option 1 is the simplest, we already have proof that Jay is a liar and not
responsible for his own actions or even his own words.

Options 2 and 3 are unlikely because while Duncan is known to have "seen"
things that others think were only imagined, it would take a very
clever and sinister imagination to integrate the missing microscope into
an already-acknowledged true story of Jay selling items on Castro.

Options 2 and 3 are even more unlikely because if Duncan was actually a
clever mastermind bent on framing Jay for the theft of the microscope, he
would not have shrank back from being sure of seeing a microscope among
Jays items for sale precisely when he was being interviewed by Danny.

All this is on top of the fact that Jay lied and said he had nothing to do
with the beer being spilled on the computer.  He might as well say that he
wasn't even at noisebridge that night, with five people yelling at him to
leave for half an hour (or however long it was).

When Duncan came to RayC and asked if a microscope was missing, it was
because he had seen it at Jays' street sale. Duncan may be a wingnut who
says wacky things, but Jay is a thief and has done more than enough damage
to our community to be told never to return.

-jake