[Noisebridge-discuss] Know GIMP? Know Inkscape? Want to host a class?

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 02:44:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Snail <snailtsunami at gmail.com> wrote:

> Even not being very familiar with photoshop to mess up my intuition, I
> found gimp extremely unintuitive and frustrating after trying out for a
> while and eventually uninstalled it. Now I just lol my cat photos with
> whatever simple image program comes with the OS.

Actually I do that a lot of the time. Apple's Preview has pretty good basic
utilities. But for Linux counterpart I am not sure. Definitely you don't
want a giant program to do simple jobs. Image Magick's Spiff does  a big big
improvement on a lot of photos with no fussing at all, one click.

Two things very useful in either Photoshop or Gimp IMHO are Levels and
Curves, and also probably color cast correction. Both have and are basic to
better results.

I don't know how advanced the OP was in Photoshop. But I am certainly not an
expert in either. Besides the above, I just click buttons and move sliders
and see what happens, and if I don't like I click undo. Everything I know I
learned by experimenting.

However maybe some Fine Arts background does help, knowing somethings about
color and composition, implying you get ideas of what you want or what needs
fixing.

One other thing I know is to resize images and for sharpening. Gimp has a
few sharpening methods that maybe Photoshop does not and vice versa. Some
pictures "like" different sharpening or resampling methods.

One thing that confuses me are which operations are OK on jpegs which don't
lower (degrade) the quality. Basicly I crop and rotate only and otherwise I
save as ping in case I want to edit again. Also I save versions as I go
along.

To spend a half hour or more on one picture is like a good meditation.
Sometimes amazing results sometimes bad, can't force it.
Helps to have an obsessive mind set.

Is the above anything anyone would be wanting help or demonstration of ?