[Noisebridge-discuss] email password cracked - what to do?

Lee Sonko lee at lee.org
Mon Sep 5 19:03:12 UTC 2011

>Hacked accounts

That is a dread situation. Sorry.

Some advice on new passwords:
http://lee.org/blog/2010/01/01/passwords-that-are-easy-to-remember-and-hard-to-guess/
http://xkcd.com/936/
If your current passwords are easy to guess across the board, change them
ALL. Yes, this is a huge hassle. Next time make better passwords.

Every site is going to require a different response:
- If they hacked your bank website, call the bank and tell them the time
period you were exposed. They'll look over your records to see what happened
on the site
- If they hacked your http://imgur.com/ site, see if they posted any
embarrasing things in your name
- If they hacked your Facebook account, look at the activity "you" had
during the exposed period. Did "you" Friend anyone? Post anything? Change
your permissions or allow any new applications???
- If they hacked your Friendster account, WTF?
- etc...

Good luck.