[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Re: Know GIMP? Know Inkscape? Want to host a class?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Sat Sep 10 17:10:15 UTC 2011

OK, I will be at NB at 7:PM on Tuesday to begin authoring the "Inkscape
paths for cutting tools" document.  This will be around the weekly meeting,
but not concurrent, so who ever wants...or should I say needs...to do both,
don't worry about that.  I need people to ask questions while I am authoring
so we can work out the kinks in real time.  I also need someone to write
HTML and take dictation so I can work on taking screenshots and answering
questions.

I will be formulating a tutorial specifically to address basic tools useful
for authoring plasma/laser cutting documents.  It will be a lengthy tutorial
because I will touch on ALLLLLL the caveats for this process that I have
faced, and I have faced a lot.  These caveats are easy...EASY...all of them
are, except one, which I will dedicate another document too and will not be
covered in this course work.  Said ultimate caveat is hunting down breaks in
a path.

I will be working on a second tutorial for getting inkscape and the laser
engraver/cutter to play nice...and then one for getting the plasma cutter at
boxshop and inscape playing nice.

So four tutorials:
1. Inkscape paths for cutting tools
2a. Inkscape paths and NB's laser
2b. Inkscape paths and BS's plasma
3. Inkscape and unfucking paths

After the Inkscape tutorial is done, we can talk about GIMP, people's
impressions of GIMP, and what roadblocks people have had to overcome.  I
will not lead the GIMP discussion because my perspective is, "What's the big
deal?" and I will be blind to people's GIMP needs.

I am inviting people not from noisebridge to join us because I feel their
needs and perspectives will add value to the discussion.  Also, because I
know them to be fun, awesome people, with cutting shit on their brains.

So...WHO'S WITH ME?  What times are good for everyone?  When is "The
Meeting" usually over?

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com> wrote:

> Alright. What I'd like is a group to babble at as i author an inkscape
> tutorial, with one person who knows basic html who can take dictation as i
> capture screenshots.  That way i can work on talking to people and getting
> their needs while working the software.
>  On Sep 8, 2011 3:51 PM, "Erik JM Schneider" <eriktrips at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Tuesday night works for me. Anytime pretty much works for me, so
> > whatever suits others.
> >
> > Erik
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 15:36, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com>
> wrote:
> >> Who can meet tuesday night to discuss authoring and teaching content? I
> have
> >> an inkscape tutorial that i need to recreate (lost it to a hard drive
> >> failure) that i could bang out in a couple hours with some help.

> do
> at

> graphics
> than I

> want
> people

> make
> don't

> Noisebridge
> October
> class

> talk
> help

> anybody

> when

> > --
> > Erik JM Schneider, PhD
> > blog.eriktrips.com
> > eriktrips at gmail.com

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>