[Noisebridge-discuss] tonights meeting, banning Jay

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Wed Sep 14 01:25:37 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>
>> At last weeks' meeting, there were a number of people who were on-board
>> with permanently 86ing Jay, the person who spilled beer on Kayla's computer
>> and many other non-excellent actions and episodes.
>>
>> I specifically and repeatedly expressed that I was proposing a permanent
>> ban, and a few people stated that they would block on principle, saying that
>> banning someone is a consensus item that requires a week's advance notice
>> for discussion.  After the meeting, I spoke with Jason (i think) who agreed
>> that a permanent ban was appropriate and walked toward the notetaker stating
>> that he would make sure the weeklong process would begin.  I don't see my
>> proposal mentioned anywhere in the meeting notes but I did make the proposal
>> and I think people should consider that proposal tonight.
>>
>> I will not be attending the meeting, because of something else happening.
>> But I wasn't the only one who thought we had had enough of Jay, and aside
>> from folks playing Devil's advocate (to a fault) i think we had consensus
>> last week.  Either way, here are some things to consider:
>>

>  Consensus takes two meetings -- one where the proposal is brought up, and
> added to the "proposed consensus item" list (so that people have advance
> warning), and then another to actually have the discussion. No-one proposed
> the consensus item until after the meeting.

Okay, I've taken the language from our last banz0ring, which took a long
discussion in itself, and added it to the proposed consensus item to be
discussed next week:

To bar Jay from entering the space and participating in the community.

Note on some points from last time:
This is a revocable statement, since we can always consent to undo it (we
had a long discussion about time-limiting such bans, and settled on this.)
There was a general feeling that the person being banned should have a right
to defend themselves against the ban. Patrick chose not to do this, but I
will propose at today's meeting that we allow Jay to return if he chooses
next week to defend himself for the duration of the next meeting.

We also had a separate group discuss what might be done better than last
time, headed I believe by Rachel H. If they came to any conclusions, now
would be the time to say so.

d.