[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting notes 2011-09-13

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed Sep 14 16:47:40 UTC 2011

Jake wrote, On 2011-09-14 02:56:
> As for my proposal to ban Jay, I will say here that I still intend to
> bring this proposal on 09-20 regardless of people thinking it should be
> delayed, and I do not want it removed from the agenda.  I see that somehow
> people consensed on delaying this proposal.  I will be here on 09-20 to
> make this proposal in person, and I know that it will be seconded at that
> time, and we can have a discussion.  Consensus process is not based on
> blocks, it is based on negotiation toward something everyone can agree on.
>
> I and at least one other person feel strongly that if Rubin wants Jay to
> come here but everyone else wants him to stay away, that a reasonable
> compromise would be that Jay would only be allowed at the space when Rubin
> was here to be his escort.  We can discuss that at the meeting on 09-20.

Your interpretation of what I said at the meeting is incorrect. I don't
approve of taking banning action on someone while they're not allowed
into the space. We all came to a general agreement of being ok with what
was going on at the end of the 20110906 meeting. One really shouldn't
kick a person while they're down.

I will block any movement to ban a user of Noisebridge while a temporary
hiatus from entering the space is on for them.

Additionally you need to go through the popper steps for consensus to
complete this. You need to bring it up at a meeting (in the meeting
notes before anyone even shows up), request that it be put up for
consensus, have a discussion about that exact consensus item with
everyone in agreement that we're actually talking about something for
consensus and not just action you feel should be taken, and then be at
the next meeting (or have a proxy for you) to push that consensus item
through discussion.

That all isn't to say that I want Jay in the space, quite the contrary.
I just don't want to solve problems that haven't occurred just yet,
that'll most likely solve themselves. And on top of all else, we have
process for this, of which I don't want to see get lost.

Please feel free to message me off list if you'd like to convince me
otherwise on my stance. Thanks.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net