[Noisebridge-discuss] [HBRobotics] High density 2S LIPO with Charge/Discharge cutoffs - Brainless Battery Pack?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Thu Sep 15 01:54:58 UTC 2011

You folks are absolutely correct and I was unclear.

These batteries are rated to be charged at 1C, which is in the product
description.  What this means is, the battery must be charged at a rate that
is equal to or less than the capacity of the battery, so less than 4 amps.

As a rule of thumb, all LIPO's are usually charged at 1C or less.  This
means, no matter the capacity, you do not want to charge a LIPO battery at
such a rate that an empty battery would be charged in less than an hour.

Sorry about not mentioning that.

To understand how the circuitry in this battery works, we need to understand
how this battery was designed to be used.  This battery is meant to be a
drop in replacement for a transmitter battery.  The transmitter can recharge
the battery when wall power is provided.  The transmitter then trickle
charges a 6 cell NIMH pack over two leads.

This battery is meant to do exactly that.  It is meant to replace a bonehead
simple NIMH pack in a transmitter in an off the shelf fashion.

So, how would one safely use this pack?  Trickle charge it at 9V at less
than an amp.  It will take all night to charge, but it should charge safely.