[Noisebridge-discuss] [HBRobotics] High density 2S LIPO with Charge/Discharge cutoffs - Brainless Battery Pack?

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 03:02:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:

> It looks like it DOES contain a charging control circuit after all:
>
> "..automatically cutoff once the pack drops to 2.85v per cell ensuring the
>  battery will not be damaged if you accidentally leave your transmitter
>  switched on. The voltage protection circuit will also restrict charging
>  to 4.2v per cell ensuring the pack can never be over charged."
>

> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19481__Turnigy_4000mAh_Spektrum_DX8_Intelligent_Transmitter_Pack..html
>
> -jake

As it says, that is a voltage protection circuit. Lithium cells are damaged
if they go outside the range of 2.8v-4.2v. As the pack charges, the voltage
increases. That circuit physically cuts off the charger once the pack has
been charged up to 4.2 volts. Its a standard lipo protection circuit.

That doesn't do anything to regulate the *current* flowing into the cell.
Which, as Corey points out, needs to be regulated to less than 1C.

My real question was what kind of charging cycle LiPo cells like, and if
simple current-limited DC is enough.

I checked out the datasheet for a simple charging chip:
http://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Prototyping/Batteries/MCP73831T.pdf

And figure 2-17 on page 9 shows a typical charging cycle for a 180mAh cell
(beware, voltage on the left is not charge voltage, its cell voltage. The
right side shows charge current.) It shows that they put a constant 100mA
into the cell for most of the cycle, with current dropping off towards the
end.

Figure 2-18 shows a charge cycle for a 1000mAh cell. Its slightly more
complex - quickly ramps up to 500ma and then immediately starts dropping
off.

Unfortunately if you just load some voltage across the cells, you'll get
lots of current at first, and then it will quickly drop off as the cell
voltage increases.

Luckily, if you get a current-limited power supply that is, I'd say, in the
0.5C or less range, you'll probably be fine. I would put a current meter on
it though and verify whats happening. Most even cheap multi-meters seem to
have current measurement.

As Corey points out, it is being sold for devices that normally don't deal
with LiPo charging, so its not totally unreasonable to assume that they
designed it with that in mind. However, when it comes to LiPo, assumptions
can be dangerous and can result in your house being burned down. Nowhere on
the product description does it explicitly describe how to charge it, so its
really not sufficient to assume anything. If you burn your house down, they
will point this out.

After looking at that LiPo charger datasheet and understanding how these are
normally charged, you can have a little more confidence that it will be
okay. You have to understand though, those charge cycles always ramp down
the current at the end, and a constant DC source will not do that. We can
*hope* its okay, and I would guess its *probably* fine, but I'm not a
battery engineer so I can't tell you. My guess is it will wear out the cell
sooner, but not cause a fire.

Anyway, just trying to point out - don't assume things when the result could
literally mean an explosion if you are wrong. I agree that its probably
totally fine, but I only agree with that after looking into how LiPo
charging normally works. Maybe you guys already knew that - but I didnt.

And to be safe, throw the thing in a fire-safe container the first few times
you charge it. Cheap insurance against assumptions.

Good luck!
-Taylor