[Noisebridge-discuss] missing IBM model M keyboard from my shelf

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Sep 17 22:41:00 UTC 2011

+1

I'm inclined to agree with John and Gian, having lost a Soekris, a handheld
VHF/UHF transceiver, an FTDI cable, and big bag of LEDs.

I no longer consider Noisebridge a safe place lately, and haven't been
spending much time there as a result. This makes me sadface :(

This is a debate we've had again and again. Remember the one about putting a
gate up on the DJ Booth?
Ultimately, any move towards locking things down is shot down by the social
norm of avoiding locks, since they would by their nature "exclude" some
people. While this is certainly true on the face of it, I still think that
Noisebridge could handle locking some things up just fine. We can still hand
out unlimited keys to anyone we feel is trustworthy.
The front gate has worked just fine, and I don't see why that model can't be
extended to other things as well.

I'm not for excluding everyone by default, but I think we should meet with
and get to know total strangers before just granting them total and free
access by default.

--j