[Noisebridge-discuss] missing IBM model M keyboard from my shelf

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Sep 18 01:57:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:

> Jonathan Lassoff wrote, On 2011-09-17 15:41:
> > I'm not for excluding everyone by default, but I think we should meet
> with
> > and get to know total strangers before just granting them total and free
> > access by default.
>
> Folks asking for lock down should maybe work towards making sure every
> single person being let into the space is welcomed, this will solve most
> of the problems brought up in this thread.

In an ideal world, this could work. But, I think it falls down in practice.

The downside (totally my opinion), is that it requires the *constant*
vigilance, at all hours of the day. It places the burden of security and
screening strangers on a minority of people that feel engaged and and
outgoing enough to want to greet people and observe their behavior to
determine if they're a problem or not.

I don't think this is fair for the volunteers that take this on. What if
they want to work uninterrupted for a while?
I feel like I should be greeting people while I'm a the space, but I'd much
rather not have to worry about who's coming and going.

I feel like we've been going down this road for a while, and it's not
working (things are missing, belligerent strangers are wandering in and
harassing people, etc.)

--j