[Noisebridge-discuss] tracking software for missing laptops / androids

Chrysanthemum Hyphus hyphusdomains at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 05:03:21 UTC 2011

One of the nice things about Prey is that it runs on Mac, Windows, and
Linux. I have it on my Mac desktop and Windows & Linux dual boot laptop
under both OSs and it works great. One weakness of software-only tracking on
at least some machines (and my laptop in particular) is that despite having
a password on the BIOS, it is still possible to override the boot order,
which I would prefer to have set to always boot from the hard drive first
(or even better, *only*) unless a password is entered. Thus someone could
still boot it up initially with an OS install DVD and wipe it clean before
Prey or anything else ever got to run.

Of course it's still worth installing something like this since most people
aren't that savvy.

Has anyone found a way to replace a BIOS with one that would make a laptop
into a paperweight without a password even if the boot hard drive were
replaced? It'd be nice if it were *impossible* to make my computer function
other than the way I want it to without a very long password like those at
https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm.

-Chrysanthemum