[Noisebridge-discuss] Do we have PCB etching equipment?

Michael C. Toren mct at toren.net
Thu Sep 29 09:43:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:55:14PM -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:38:43PM -0700, Just Duncan wrote:
> > that's good for drilling t5hem, but what relay is the things to etch
> > the boards from scratch. so what i do usually is design the schismatic
> > then print on the board or use photo sensitive PCB board and then etch
> > in ferrous chloride to remove the copper and leaving the tracks
> > behind.
>
> People have had reasonably good success milling traces on the MaxNC.  I
> haven't seen anybody doing photo etching, but I'm pretty sure it's been
> done, the darkroom people might know more...

See also https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Homebrew_PCB, which we did 2
years ago at 83c.  (I still have the board we made, and keep meaning to do
something with it -- like put a frame around it and stick it up on a wall
at 2169, or whatever...)

There are many downsides to this technique -- including the fact that I
still have a whole bunch of copper-rich, spent PCB etchant in a bottle
under my bathroom sink at home that I have no idea how to properly dispose
of.  There's a higher learning curve for using the MaxNC, but it has many
advantages.

If you *really* want to do this, I have unused etchant left, which you
can talk to me about.

-mct