[Noisebridge-discuss] Fw: continuing adventures in the brave new world.

Carl carl at icarp.info
Wed Apr 4 03:55:53 UTC 2012

It's more likely that his account was NOT hacked, but that the spammer
simply placed your friend's email address in the "From:" field of the
email that was, in reality, sent from the spammer's email account.
Which explains why it would not be in his Sent box, since it wasn't
actually sent from it.  This is trivial to accomplish by someone who
runs their own mail server.

This is like writing someone else's return address instead of your own
when mailing an envelope.  Anyone can write whatever they want in the
"From:" field of an email.  There is no security or authentication
method in place to prevent this.

-Carl