[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Apr 4 18:38:33 UTC 2012

On 04/04/2012 11:22 AM, VonGuard wrote:
> I agree Martin.
>
> I think it's rather silly to stay out of Maker Faire for the reasons
> stated.

No, it's not. It's pretty awesome that Mitch and others are so
principled that they've sacrificed their own standing for little more
than a dialog. That is not only not silly, it's really humbling.

> Anyone boycotting because of this funding should really stop using
> computers, and never use any technology out of MIT or CMU. ARPANET, which
> became the Internet, was a military funded project. And MIT and CMU both
> take huge amounts of DARPA money. Remember the self-driving car challenge?

That kind of over simplification is ridiculous and does not help to
discuss the current concerns with DARPA, the U.S. military or any other
issues that Mitch raised.

> Frankly, I'm happy our tax dollars are coming back to us in some way, no
> matter how they get there. It's better than the government spending it on
> its favorite overseas pass-time: killing brown people.

It seems foolish to think that this is actually disconnected from
killing people when one of the main projects involved is a military
transport. I assume everyone has read the storify[0] link on the topic
but if not, I think the part about MENTOR is worth reading:

#####
#####

But... Keep the following in mind...DARPA defined MENTOR's overall
mission, in 2010 (emphasis added), this way:

"MENTOR is part of DARPA’s Adaptive Vehicle Make (AVM) program, a larger
effort to dramatically compress development timelines for future defense
vehicles, shift the product value chain toward high valueadded design
activities and democratize the innovation process. AVM seeks a
“fab-less” approach to design of correct-by-construction
cyber-electro-mechanical systems, a foundry-style bitstream programmable
manufacturing capability and a crowd-sourcing infrastructure for
development of vehicle systems similar to open-source software today."

#####
#####

So it's true - our tax dollars are coming back to us - now we should ask
ourselves - is THAT what we want to be doing with them? Is that what we
want to teach our children to do and to think is a good idea?

Perhaps? Perhaps not? That's the point of the discussion. This non-sense
about not using the internet is silly. I think the best email on the
topic so far is by Michael Prados and I think it sounds very similar to
how many of us actually feel as pragmatists. I encourage everyone to
read his email and to consider his well written thoughts on the matter:
https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2012-April/029840.html

All the best,
Jake

[0] http://storify.com/demilit/darpa-and-make-round-up