[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Apr 5 01:41:26 UTC 2012

On 04/04/2012 06:34 PM, Matt Joyce wrote:
> Jake you are a smart guy.  But I feel like you purposefully antagonize
> people you disagree with.  Maybe it's just the vagueries of text
> communications playing tricks on my mind.  Either way it's making me
> not wish to continue to engage you in conversation.

Thanks for the backhanded complement. I am not purposefully antagonizing
you. It appears that you are antagonized by my emails because you are
unable to actually speak honestly about the complex ethical issues
presented by accepting DARPA money. You make assertions that are
frankly, false. It's hard to talk about this stuff reasonably when you
start by suggesting that DARPA isn't in the killing business. That's a
dishonest statement but it's also just ridiculous. It's even worse when
you suggest that it's off limits because we live in a democracy, so it's
all good! This is also ridiculous.

> So hopefully this email will be enough.
>
> The mission of DARPA does not specifically include "to kill people" in
> any form.  Nor does it include any specific ethos.  In fact, it
> purposely does not include either.  To me, it seems that you keep
> trying to force things into your own viewpoint rather than letting
> them exist as their own entity.  I don't like that.

So you're not willing to actually admit that you're mistaken because
they do not actually include the phrase "to kill people" on that web page?

Solidly annoying Matt.

All the best,
Jake