[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 22:36:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM, rachel lyra hospodar
<rachelyra at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the ole boys' club that bought our Congress is the group making the decisions
> for our military, I do believe it is relevant to the way I, as a citizen,
> relate to the military.

It is relevant, but it's just as important to put the question in
perspective: what is the global context in which the American military
operates? That is, are the other dominant military forces run by
people who are even more corrupt and autocratic than us?

The answer is clearly yes. According to this scientifically chosen
website (i.e. it popped up on Google), the top military powers after
the US are China and Russia. So if you are actually arguing the the US
Military is a Bad Thing That Should Go Away, then you are advocating
for the Russian and Chinese military forces should be the strongest
power on the planet.

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

I sincerely hope that's not the case. I sincerely hope that you're
just whining about the military, but still prefer to have the US
military in charge instead of Russia and China.

Ultimately all this politicking should be leading to the goal of
global disarmament. I don't see any way for global disarmament to
happen except for one group of people to be so secure and powerful
that they can take the lead and lay down their arms without fear. So
far America appears to be in the best position to do this, although we
have certainly squandered many opportunities to do so already.