[Noisebridge-discuss] justin posting access removed

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Mon Apr 16 02:04:25 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 03:07:16PM -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> I've set the "Moderated" flag on Justin's subscription.  This means that
> only us listmods will have to see his drivel in our mailboxes.

For those of you following at home, it looks like somebody was imitating
Justin. It looks like it was coming via T-Mobile[1] from an Ubuntu
machine called 'acemonstertoes'. They only sent the one email "I will
survive", everything else was Justin.

So it's old-style trolling (rather than someone breaking into Justin's
gmail account or anything exciting like that).

Looking at the headers of the email is a great way to learn about this
kind of fakery. As someone else said, it's also a great time to learn
about cryptographic authentication of email.

I also want to say that I think a lot of people who are sort of in favor
of this or dip into doing it themselves from time to time, because it's
for the lulz, and also because they are annoyed by drama, and like to
show how people who are just flailing can be made to flail some more.

Still, as you're setting up the PHP mail scripts, and the tumblrs, and
the IRC bots, and devoting all of this time to fanning the flames some
more, there's a point where it's pretty obvious what role one is playing
in all of this. I know that everytime I'm tempted to troll, a little
angel dies, and I try (not always successfully) to do something new.

Because, you know, Hitler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLci5DoZqHU

d.
[1] I'm guessing T-Mobile only lets devices on their own network send
through that, although stranger things have certainly happened.