[Noisebridge-discuss] FBI, stumped by pimp's Android pattern lock, serves warrant on Google

Taylor Alexander tlalexander at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 23:14:42 UTC 2012

Oh I agree there are sadly innumerable examples of the state overreaching
its power, especially lately as the vast amount of information available on
people and the stealth with which they can request it has tempted those
that would have a tendency to abuse power (which seems to be all of them).
And I've read a bit about how you and others have worked to expose that and
fight it, which is think is awesome, honorable, and sorely needed. I was
just hoping to clarify for people that skipped the article that this
particular incident didn't, in my opinion, appear to be another example of
that abuse of power. It is however interesting any time we can get more
information on how the government requests data from tech companies, and
how they comply. It was nice to see that Google's statement in this case
did take time to mention "the spirit of the law" and affirm that they at
least are aware of the importance of narrowing "overly broad" requests.
"Like all law-abiding companies, we comply with valid legal process.
Whenever we receive a request we make sure it meets both the letter and
spirit of the law before complying. If we believe a request is overly
broad, we will seek to narrow it."