[Noisebridge-discuss] Justin Doerr threat model, and how to respond

Arnold Murray arnold.murray at ymail.com
Tue Apr 10 16:54:23 UTC 2012

People with psychiatric disabilities who are hospitalized involuntarily- - and are often in dire
need of mental health care, medical treatment and other services- - face a massive curtailment
of their basic human rights. These rights deprivations include everything from not being allowed
to wear one’s own clothes to being physically restrained, forcibly medicated.

RIGHT TO EVALUATION
Evaluation consist of multidisciplinary analyses of a person’s medical, psychological,
social, financial and legal conditions as may appear to constitute a
problem...(Addressing patients legal conditions that appear to constitute a problem may
be an appropriate client referral or call to SFMHCRA on client’s/patient’s behalf.)

GROUNDS FOR DETENTION
The grounds for detention are specified in WIC Sec.5150.  Under the statute, an individual may
be detained when, as the result of a mental disorder, the individual is a danger to others, or to
himself or herself, or is gravely disabled.  Grave disability means a condition in which a person,
as a result of a mental disorder, is unable to provide for his or her basic personal needs or food,
clothing and shelter (WIC Sec.5008).  The person acting to involuntarily detain an individual
must be designated by the county

TRANSPORT TO DESIGNATED FACILITY
The individual must be taken to a facility designated by the county and approved by the State
Department of Mental Health as a facility or 72-hour treatment and evaluation.  The authorized
person must complete a written form stating  the circumstances under which the individual’s
condition was called to the attention of the authorized person, and the facts or statements
relied upon to have probable cause  to  believe  the  person  is  a  danger  to  himself  or  herself,  is  a
danger to others, or is gravely disabled.

ADVISEMENT

Upon being detained under the California Welfare & Institutions Code. Div.5, Chap.2, Sec.5150,
an oral advisement must be given to the person being detained which includes the following
information:

My name is     and I am a  (police officer, mental
health professional, etc.) with  (name of agency).  You are not under
criminal arrest, but I am taking you for an evaluation by mental health
professionals at  (name of facility): you will be told your rights by the
mental health staff at the (facility).

You may bring a few personal times with you, which I will have
to approve.  You can make a phone call and/or leave a note to tell your
friends and/or family where you have been taken.

Upon admission to a facility the detained person shall be given the following advisement orally
and in writing in a language or modality accessible to the person.  The written information shall
be provided in the person’s native language or the language, which is the person’s principal
means of communication.

My name is     .  My position here is    .  You are
being detained on this psychiatric unit because it is our professional
opinion that as a result of a mental disorder you are likely to:

A. Harm yourself.
B. Harm someone else.
C. Are unable to take care of your own food, clothing and
housing needs.

IMPORTANT PHONE NUMBERS

               To get authorized for county NON-EMERGENCY mental health services

               255-3737

               Adult Protective Services 557-5230

               Child Crisis (individuals under 18 years of age)  970-3800

               Child Protective Services 558-2650

               Community Behavioral Health Services

               Dore Urgent Care Clinic  553-3100

               Golden Gate Bridge Sergeant (people threatening to jump)  923-2220

               HIV Crisis (for people HIV + AIDS)  476-3902

               MAP Mobile Assistance Patrol-transportation for homeless people seeking drug and/or

               medical treatment 431-7400

                 Officer Kelly Dunn, San Francisco Police Department Psychiatric Liaison Unit  255-3727

                 Poison Control 1-800-523-2222

                 San Francisco Mental Health Clients’ Rights Advocates  552-8100

                 Transportation for 5150: (ambulance services)

                 St. Joseph    415-460-6020

                 Pro Transport  510-812-5200

                 King America   415-931-3000

                 AMR        415-922-9400