[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Apr 3 07:31:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 11:34:47PM -0700, Glen Jarvis wrote:
>    The following is an honest question (not a troll). Can you tell me what
> DARPA does that makes their contribution to Maker Faire bad? I ask because
> I have this naive view of DARPA from ARPANET (after sputnik was launched, a
> research agency that brought us the internet).
>
>     Could you educate me on the modern evils of DARPA? I feel silly asking.
> But, I'd rather ask and be educated than not know.

This isn't exactly responsive to your question, but:

http://storify.com/demilit/darpa-and-make-round-up

    "MENTOR is part of DARPA’s Adaptive Vehicle Make (AVM) program, a
    larger effort to dramatically compress development timelines for
    future defense vehicles, shift the product value chain toward high
    valueadded design activities and democratize the innovation process.
    AVM seeks a “fab-less” approach to design of correct-by-construction
    cyber-electro-mechanical systems, a foundry-style bitstream
    programmable manufacturing capability and a crowd-sourcing
    infrastructure for development of vehicle systems similar to
    open-source software today."

Also,

http://californiawatch.org/dailyreport/pentagon-taps-students-build-robots-drones-14631

-andy