[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Martin Bogomolni martinbogo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 20:58:48 UTC 2012

DARPA is a -huge- agency, and is involved with a vast variety of
projects.    I'm under no illusions, DARPA is no fluffy bunny ... but
nor do I consider DARPA to be "evil" in any sense of the word.

DARPA has been fundamental in the development of:

Relational Databases
GPS
Cloud computing / Cluster computing / Hyperscale Supercomputers
The World Wide Web (  J. C. R. Licklider, ARPAnet, TCP/IP .. etc )
Your Cellphones (Smart and otherwise)
Advanced limb replacements ( LUKE arm )
Advanced ORGAN replacements ( Artificial hearts, pacemakers, hips, joints )
Speech Recognition & Synthesis
BioDiesel
High Efficiency solar cells
Rare earth magnets
Cheap titanium
Shape memory alloys
Autonomous Vehicles (UAV, land, water)
Foam fire suppression systems, HALON, etc.
Airbag safety systems

And .. finally ..

You support Tor ( and Noisebridge supporting it ) right?

While onion routing, the key idea that makes the Tor privacy service
possible, was initially funded by the Office of Naval Research in
1995, DARPA pitched in early on to assist in its development,
beginning in 1997. DARPA initially funded the work through its High
Confidence Networks Program, and later through its Fault Tolerant
Networks Program.   Post 2000... that became Tor.

The work done by researchers in DARPA follows the highest ethical
standards scientists can be put to, and the results have benefitted us
all, and in some cases made our lives possible.

Most of my career was made possible due to DARPA, and I personally
have no issues at all with Maker Faire being associated with DARPA,
and I'll continue to volunteer and help with Maker Faire, because I
want to do my part in bringing the same kind of joy I have at making
and hacking with others.

-M