[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Will Sargent will.sargent at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 21:04:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 09:42:26AM -0700, Matt Joyce wrote:
> > So, I don't really see the distinction sometimes between "military
> > application" and any other application.
>
> Stuff designed for killing people, stuff designed for reasons other
> than killing people.  Seems pretty straightforward to me.

It's not -- killing people is probably one of the most inefficient ways of
ending wars.  It's a misconception to think the military is organized like
that.

DARPA funds a lot of initiatives, such as OWL and DAML semantic languages,
that are so generally useful that you'd have to stop all research if you
were morally concerned it might have a military application.  Hell, even
radar got a huge boost during WWII.

Will.