[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Matt Joyce matt at nycresistor.com
Tue Apr 3 21:49:03 UTC 2012

> What would you say about somebody who joined the military during one of these conflicts with the knowledge that they were very likely to be deployed there?
>
> I would argue that they have implicitly stated that they are either OK with the political goals or at a minimum don't care. I don't think that you can disclaim moral responsibility for your part in a war. You chose to assist. You didn't choose to invade, of course. I hate to use this analogy, but I think it may be apt: would you say that the 1001st person to join a rioting mob was not culpable because 1000 people were sufficient to cause destruction, and they had nothing to do with starting it? I presume not.
>
> (I do understand that the issue is much grayer for people who were in the military before a particular war started. I'm ignoring that for now.)

For many people in rural America especially first and second
generation Americans service in the military offers the only
reasonable opportunity they have coming out of high school.  If you
have to emancipate yourself from your parents at 18 and you need to
start a life for yourself, the incentives offered by the military can
be the difference between success and failure in a very big way.

This is not a clear cut good / bad discussion.  Many people throughout
history ( especially the Irish ) have fought in wars that were not
their own, and never a concern of theirs simply because that was the
best of options made available to them by chance or fate or whatever
you want to call it.

And regardless of a persons reason for entering the military, it is a
professional choice that demonstrates a strength of character some
might call courage.

-Matt