[Noisebridge-discuss] Does NB want a combo washer dryer?

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:00:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> And if you're annoyed by people using the _public_ terminals to use our
> _free internet_ might I suggest going to a shared co-working space where
> you have to pay for net usage.

There was an incident two days ago where someone who likes to work on
electronics here wanted to use the Internet terminal to look something
up. I advised that she approach the person using the terminal and if
the person wasn't working on some constructive project, just ask to
use it. I guess she wasn't comfortable doing this because she left the
space instead.

The person on the terminal was someone I recognized who has been
hanging out regularly for a few weeks. Several people have asked her
if she was here for any particular purpose and could not discern any.
So, I conclude that people who are just here to hang out persistently
and not work on anything interesting or inspiring, are actively
blocking others from doing so. Noisebridge cannot be both a
hackerspace and a community drop in for people with nothing to do.

The same day someone who was working on the Noisebridge Zine wanted to
cook a quick bite to keep going, but was put off by the kitchen being
chock full of people here for no reason but to use the kitchen. So he
went home instead. The kitchen should be here as a convenience
function, not part of the API. People who are just coming to cook and
eat food in the normal way do not fit any conceivable criteria of
hacking or appropriate use of of a hacker space.