[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Thu Apr 5 07:02:03 UTC 2012

This discussion requires more Internet-speak!  Simplifying things a bit,
we have two camps:

* OMG KILLING PPL IS TEH WRONGS
* GUIZE DARPA DOES COOL SHIT LIKE EDUMACATING THE KIDDIES

Both of these are actually pretty much true.  But why is it that so much
of the cool shit is funded by the military?  Why isn't some other branch
of government educating the children about math and science, maybe, oh
THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION.  We do not even have a Department of
Research.  Maybe the other DOE, Energy?  They should fund more research!
  NIST would be a good option too.  Someone tell Congress.

I want to live in a world where the military is not so big and rich, and
does not have its finger in so many otherwise nourishing pies.  I
believe that boycotting DARPA money is a tiny, tiny step in that
direction.  I applaud Mitch for taking it.

Rachel M.