[Noisebridge-discuss] Sigh -- I'm not helping with Maker Faires this year.

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 22:43:30 UTC 2012

Matt,

Thanks for this response, it makes some things about your opinions clearer
to me. I have cc'd the list because my goal in making a public stand on
this issue is to have a public conversation about it.

I certainly agree with you that many people within the military have the
best of intentions. I believe the people within the military who make
decisions are a sub-group that is far more likely than the average member
of the military to have motivations that are suspect. Additionally, the
general strategic approach of that body towards conflict is, in my opinion,
fundamentally flawed. Therefore, everything they are interested in doing is
also suspect.

One final point of fundamental disagreement between us - about having all
that explodey stuff under ultimate command of elected representatives. This
doesn't give me the same kind of warm fuzzy that you seem to get. I don't
trust our elected officials, and do not find their morals or decisions seem
to really align with my own.

So, the bigger picture discussion is where we need to stay for the moment.

Martin has listed a bunch of government agencies that I would be
comfortable working under. Everyone is entitled to their own set of
compromises, and I don't judge where the line 'should' be drawn.  I
personally believe that framing is very important, and specifically would
not work on a project with people whose goals I did not like *even if* most
other variables were ideal. Lots of people optimize for different variables
in choosing their work - job location, pay rate, benefits, what kind of
video game system is in the break room...  I choose to live the change I
would like to see in the world, and often take a more difficult path
because I think it is more appropriate.  It is because of this that I
believe projects should be framed and executed in a manner consistent with
their goals. You know, authenticity?

If you want to keep discussing this with me that is great but please keep
it on-list, and please try to frame your opinions as facts a little less
often. It makes me twitch, and obscures some actual facts - like, you are
ok with the war machine, and I am not. You view it as a necessary evil
compromise solution that we are stuck with, yes? I view it as a symbiosis
gone horribly malignant that we open-source hackers, breaking ground on the
true forefront of technology development systems, can exert an incredible
amount of influence over.

I certainly intend to fucking try.

R.