[Noisebridge-discuss] picking up washing machine Sunday

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sun Apr 8 08:00:57 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 11:32:06PM -0700, xone wrote:
> Seriously?  Is there any possibility this can be brought up in a
> weekly meeting before it is brought into Noisebridge, or at the very
> least before it's hooked up and turned on?

I think that a lot of people expressed possible concerns about possible
misuse of a washing machine.  If it gets misused, then I'm wholly in
favor of it going away.  But I think it'll not be much of a problem, and
it *solves* a problem that I know we do routinely have.

I'm biased in favor of action rather than ongoing discussion, especially
discussion of possible problems rather than concrete problems.

The worst case after "washing machine shows up" is "somebody washes
something with it".  If that turns into a problem, then by all means,
let's solve and/or discuss the problems.  But I don't have a ton of
patience for "I'm afraid that something might possibly become a
problem".

I'd be more willing to discuss it interminably if the possible
consequences were more severe; for example I wouldn't support a similar
"do it and see if it becomes a problem" for things that might cause
someone to be arrested or lose their job or get unintentionally
divorced.  If there's a concern along those lines, I'm sorry that I
missed it and would be happy to discuss it, but if the concerns are "it
might be loud" and "some homeless guy might decide to hang out at
Noisebridge because we have a free washing machine", let's try it and
see.

Thanks,
-andy