[Noisebridge-discuss] Surface mount oven?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Apr 19 05:58:37 UTC 2012

Yes i like the link you sent.  It seems that me and Rachel are going to
build one when we get an appropriate oven to start with, a.k.a. a smallish
convection oven.

we already have a hot-air rework station, although we don't have a heating
station (heats the bottom and top of the board in prep for rework).
However, i do own a heating station and I will see if it hasn't been
thrown out yet, and bring it to noisebridge.

I think the oven thing will be a step in the right direction, because we
should develop the ability to build complex boards with lots of
surfacemount parts without having to laboriously solder everything by
hand.  This oven will move us in that direction.

also, we will have to teach the mill to etch circuitboards faster and more
quietly, and teach the replicators to dispense solder paste onto boards
for us, or use the laser engraver to etch solder paste masks.

and we should start a system of labeling our test equipment and tools so
nothing else gets mistaken for hack materials, and taken apart by bored
occupiers trying to look like they're hacking so they don't get kicked
out.

-jake