[Noisebridge-discuss] FBI, stumped by pimp's Android pattern lock, serves warrant on Google

Jake jake at spaz.org
Sat Apr 21 22:48:12 UTC 2012

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012, Taylor Alexander wrote:
> Well, its an interesting article about Android's security. I would agree
> that the ideal security situation would be if Google was unable to provide
> access to that information. But then the government would probably introduce
> and pass a bill that simply made doing that illegal. That would be
> interesting...

the government already walks a fine line of passing unenforceable laws and
thus diluting its credibility.  There are probably already laws
criminalizing the use of such encryption that we have forgotten about, and
which the government wisely avoids mention of because they reveal quite
starkly that the emperor wears no clothes.

Witness the story of Josh Wolf, a bay area anarchist who had shot video of
a protest at which a police officer was hit on the head.  The court sought
prosecution and persecution to a level they would have never mobilized for
a mere citizen, because this was an affront to their authority.  They
wanted Josh Wolf to provide all unreleased footage and testify to the
grand jury answering any questions they had (although presumably stopping
at the fifth amendment) and, being an anarchist, he simply refused.

they put him in jail for contempt of court, for nine months i think,
hoping they would break him with their mighty authority.  But eventually
it became clear that they had no power over him, and his lawyers showed
that the imprisonment would not compel his cooperation and was purely
punitive, and since he had been convicted of nothing he was released.

a perfect example of the state overreaching its authority, which
ultimately flows only, in the words of Mao, from the barrel of a gun.