[Noisebridge-discuss] seeking gas plumbing advice for brain-control of flames

Steve Castellotti sc at puzzlebox.info
Tue Aug 7 17:57:07 UTC 2012

hey all--

     I'm looking to produce a portable version of live flame effect to
be controlled via EEG.

     Roughly I'm seeking to feed a bunsen burner from a camping stove,
with an electronically-controlled valve or solenoid in between.
Brainwaves are collected and analyzed for levels of concentration and
focus (beta), and when a certain threshold is reach a microcontroller
(either Arduino or Raspberry Pi) sends a signal to open the valve or switch.

     Ideally I could have variable control over the flame level, which
would only require a single valve and gas line. Worst case I would split
the camping stove into two tubes, one with a physical valve open to the
minimum level necessary for the pilot, and a solenoid on the other side
which opens the line fully when triggered.

     Does anyone have experience with this sort of gas plumbing work?
Any recommended websites for information or purchasing gear? Any advice
would be appreciated. Handing the brain interface is covered.

     This guy built something along the right lines and photo documented
his effort, but the text lacks detail. It looks like he has a flame
element with  only mentions a thermocouple connected to the Arduino,
which I assume is a heat-sensing safety mechanism:

https://jandecoster.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/mini-fan-the-flame-making-of/

     ... and here is the large-scale version I hacked onto a Flaming
Lotus Girls sculpture last year:

http://brainstorms.puzzlebox.info//index.php?entry=Puzzlebox-Pyrokinesis

Cheers

Steve