[Noisebridge-discuss] Sensors, Lights, Games, oh my!

Chelsea Howe howe.chelsea at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:44:55 UTC 2012

*(First time poster: enormous apologies for any breach of protocol!)*

Hello make-savvy guys and gals!

I am working on an installation game that is light/sensor/peripheral heavy,
but have no background in electronics. Even just to put together a budget
for a grant/Kickstarter, I need to know more-- that's where I'm hoping you
can help!

Here's a short pitch for the game:

*Ouiji is a surreal, collaborative experience that uses a network of
sensors, lights, and displays to blend a physical space with a digital
world. An installation game that takes place in one room, Ouiji is a
beautiful, interactive work of art - an enchanting combination of textures,
colors, lights and sounds that's gorgeous on its own, but with more
players, and more input, both the physical and digital worlds blossom.*

*Players work together not only to discover and unlock the hidden sensors,
but understand how their input contributes to shaping the digital world.
Keeping the physical world a priority, sensors aren't just standard game
controllers - they're things like trackballs embedded in wooden posts,
dance pads hidden under patterned carpets, laser harps in dark corners, and
maybe even a "smart rock" (phone encased in jagged acrylic). *

*The game itself is more experiential - there aren't explicit goals. It is
a world to explore, understand, and enjoy, alone or with others. Different
areas of the digital world use different combinations of the physical
sensors, but only after players unlock and understand them all can they
reach the peak of the monolith.*

Do you have any insight on what it would take, from an electronics
standpoint, to bring this project to life? Specifically:

   - What sort of sensors/controllers are out there that could help us with
   this? (I'm open to anything - heat, pressure, humidity, motion!)
   - Are they chips, peripherals, do they come with USB or bluetooth
   connectors or would they have to be soldered? (What level of effort are we
   looking at per sensor to make it functional and get it talking to
   something?) (We also would LOVE everything to be ultimately wireless - is
   that realistic?)
   - In regards to the lights, are there particular brands of lights/light
   set ups/light strands that are perfect for this sort of thing?
   - What software would we need to get all of these things talking to each
   other and synchronized?
   - Super rough estimate, supposing we had about 10 different kinds of
   input, can you give us a super rough ballpark estimate of what it would
   take to get everything ordered, assembled, and functional? (Time, $$ for
   parts, etc)

If you're interested in contributing to the project itself - that's even
more awesome, and let me know! But at this point more information so I know
what to look (and budget) for would be so appreciated and helpful.

Thank you so much for reading,

Chelsea Howe

@manojalpa