[Noisebridge-discuss] Java primer for Re: weekly Beginners Android Development class

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Sat Dec 15 20:38:49 UTC 2012

Java nerds.  What got you up to speed?  What reference do you wish you had
when you started?  Who wants to throw a "Negative Oneth" party?

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Brian Cloutier <
briancloutier2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like there is more than enough interest, this is happening!
>
> We've got a full holiday season ahead of us and I'd like to take some
> time to prepare, so the class will start sometime mid-January. I'll
> send out a doodle after new years to see which times work for
> everybody.
>
> > I should ask. What basics do we need before we start?
>
> I'll throw a 0th class before we get into the thick of things to help
> people get set up, but you're going to need:
> - Java, http://java.com/getjava
> - Eclipse, the Android SDK, and the Android Developer Tools for
> Eclipse. All of which can be found here with installation instructions
> http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
> - An Android phone running 2.3 or newer (almost all of them). There's
> an emulator you can use, but I highly recommend having an android
> phone for testing your apps on.
>
> > Let me know if you'd like to use Noisegate as a case study.  It makes an
> HTTP request inside an AsyncTask.
>
> Sounds great, thank you.
>
> For the people who don't already know Java, it's been a while since I
> learned so I don't know what the best references are but these might
> be helpful:
> - If you feel like reading a book, Head First Java is excellent
> http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Java-Kathy-Sierra/dp/0596009208
> - Oracle maintains the official Java tutorial:
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/index.html
> - They've also got a tutorial on Collections, which are going to be
> important: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/collections/index.html
> - And here's a website with a couple drills for practicing:
> http://codingbat.com/java
>
> If you want to get a head start, I cannot recommend the official
> android documentation enough.
> http://developer.android.com/training/index.html is a good place to
> get started.
>
> - Brian

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>