[Noisebridge-discuss] Church as the safe haven for being loud, whenever a class is not in session?

Robert "Finny" Merrill rfmerrill at berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 21 12:33:20 UTC 2012

I've noticed that there is often a clash between people who like quiet
and people who want to be loud (for whatever reason).

This is usually an issue later in the night, as that tends to be the
time which is attractive to both of those groups.

I've been on both sides of this: I've been hacking on audio projects
and found myself unable to do so because the necessary loudness was
deemed unacceptable by other people in the space. I've also been
distracted by people loudly socializing near the kitchen.

So here's a thought: Move one of the two soundsystems into Church and
make it the designated "safe place to be loud in noisebridge" whenever
there is not a class in session. Note: This is not meant to imply that
there are not reasonable limits on how loud one can be, nor is it
meant to imply that the standards would change in any way for the rest
of the space.

Reasons why this idea came to mind:
- Church's main entrance is around the corner from the rest of the
space, on the far side from where most people are working late at
night
- Church is also right next to the kitchen, which is often a center of loudness.

Potential problems:
- Presence of rowdyness in church potentially resulting in
litter/damage that hinders its usability as a classroom
- Proximity of church to neighbors possibly an issue?

I am only an egg, so please let me know if these thoughts are in any way foolish