[Noisebridge-discuss] New furniture

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 06:28:38 UTC 2012

On Dec 3, 2012, at 11:41 AM, rachel lyra hospodar wrote:

> Maybe you will all love this, as I will now make an example of my own
> cognitive fallacies, instead of someone else's.
>
> I make a habit of rereading my emails, both before and after I send
> them. I
> just reread my exchange with josh and while I called him out for
> challenging my statements rather than querying them, in rereading
> his email
> I see that I may have been reading some of that challenge into it. The
> wording is, in fact, a query. How much of that set of my
> assumptions come
> from my knowledge of josh and past interactions with him? How much is
> rooted in other experiences I have had?  In this case especially I
> am not
> really sure.

I'm curious what your perceptions of me are, and your experience of
your interactions with me.  You seem to have categorized me as an
adversary.

> We are a sort of organic computer that constructs algorithms based
> on data
> of interactions. If everyone bases their reactions to each other on
> past
> experiences then there is some necessary noise in the system. How
> can we
> reduce the amount of times this impacts us? Through personal
> effort, for
> ourselves, but what about for all those crazy feminist bitches who
> flip out
> every time you interrupt them?

That last part's a meta-straw-man.  You're suggesting (perhaps
unintentionally) that I see you as a crazy feminist bitch.

> How do you deal with the ways that people act and react, especially
> when
> they are different than what you might be wanting?
>
> I deal with it by trying to imagine what their motivations are, and
> what
> other contexts might exist in their life that would influence our
> interactions. I know I am not required to care about this stuff, about
> anyone else's hard life or oppression or drama.
>
> I have found that this effort of trying to imagine, understand, and
> grok
> the motivations of others helps me to do so. Huh. This, in turn,
> makes it
> easier to have interactions with others that I enjoy.

How is that working out?  I'm certainly not experiencing joy in this
interaction with you.

> Sometimes I accurately ascribe other people's motivations or impulses.
> Sometimes I make false conclusions based on my own preconceptions or
> situation. That is true for EVERY aspect of science. One thing I
> like about
> the metacognitive-neurolinguistic-social-interaction field of study
> is that
> it begins by acknowledging this.

So basically, after seven paragraphs, you're at most sheepishly
amused at your error.  You haven't said a single word relating to
anything like embarrassment or apology.  In fact, you haven't
expressed the slightest emotion at all or communicated *anything* to
me in this entire message.  The whole thing has been a soliloquy
about how your faux pas is justified because everybody makes these
mistakes, and this time it just happened to be your turn, and you're
aware of it so it's okay.  While you're giving lectures, could you
remind me what 'mansplain' means?  Also, science! \o/

Josh