[Noisebridge-discuss] Object tracking QR codes (was OKI printer)

JW idht at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 15 08:07:35 UTC 2012

Subject: RE: Object tracking QR codes (was OKI printer)

Hi everybody,

I apologize for the delay in delivering a working solution to back up my idea about QR code based collaboration and shared tree like TODO lists that was presented earlier at one of the NB meetings.

 I told to a few people at NB that I was working on it at nights and on weekends.  In fact, I believe, there was only one night last week when I went to bed before 1am. I now have to work a full time job during the day time, so I get up at 7am and am pretty tired when I come back at night. Therefore, I am going to  finance this to hire a few people to work on it with me. Drew is not getting an offer though.  ;-) Drew, so, I can't work on it if I am not in the town, is it what you are saying? No hire, we are very disappointed, go learn web development, man! :)

Anyway, here is an update on the project:

A working version is available here:

 http://jw.host56.com/u-do/index.php?pinid=1              [ this link is for the pin#1 which belongs to the U-DO ONLINE project itself ]

It has been tested with recent Google Chrome and IE versions and works fine. It does have minor bugs. Also, for now it is installed on a free hosting site which might be slow at times. But usually ok, good enough so far.

You can comment on any items if you want to collaborate in creating a collaborative solution. :) Just login using your Yahoo or Google email account.No worries, you are authenticated directly by Yahoo or Google, and your information is secure; FYI, authentication is based on the OpenID-2 standards.

It is possible to attach a few PINS to various pieces of hardware at this time already.
I am now working on a project in Santa Monica, is there anybody in SF who could kindly help me out with that?

We might need to choose the right domain name for the NB equipment pins. For example, nbhardware.org
However, it's not required to have a domain name, it's up to whatever the member opinion is. In order to attach a pin to a piece of equipment you need to

- change the URL to contain a number which is not yet used
- populate the content
- print out the QR code page which contains the URL and has the QR code for it and place it somewhere near the equipment piece
- add the link to the Wiki

On my side, I can commit to keep improving the website and backing up the database once per day.

As I am not currently present in SF, could the members please discuss the details at the next meeting and kindly let me know the results. In particular:

- do we need a separate domain for NB equipment and what it's going to be
- what do you want on the page besides what is there already, any design considerations ( I will add that it's powered by my engine somewhere at the bottom of the page)
- any other suggestions after playing with it.

John Waln
415-527-8036

idht at yahoo com

Just to clarify your possible questions about U-DO online:

1. How to create a PIN:
Manually replace the number in the URL:
>http://jw.host56.com/u-do/index.php?pinid=102
>Replace 102 with any number you like. You should get an empty pin which you can start populating.

>2. How to reference a pin from your own webpage:
Create the pin as described in 1. Note the resulting URL.
>On your web page, create a link in an HTML file:
>add  target="_blank" if you want to open a new window when user clicks this link. For example:

Any feedback? Let me know.
John Waln
415-527-8036

PS: I would like to thank Andrew Byrne for his kind friendship and participation.

[Noisebridge-discuss] Object tracking QR codes (was OKI printer)Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Dec 11 22:57:56 UTC 2012