[Noisebridge-discuss] where and how to open bitcoin account

Jonathan Toomim jtoomim at jtoomim.org
Sun Dec 16 00:59:55 UTC 2012

I recommend not using the official client from Bitcoin.org, since that
client will fully engage in the peer-to-peer bitcoin process as a peer
server, which requires several gigabytes of storage and a lot of CPU
time and bandwidth to remain fully synced. A client like Multibit
(http://multibit.org/) will give you all the user functionality without
the resource usage. I think Multibit also has a better UI.

You should think in terms of "wallets", not "accounts". You don't need
to interact with any banks or third party organizations to have a
wallet. You just download some software and create one. That said, it
often makes sense to have your wallet managed by a bank-like 3rd-party
organization, since they're likely to understand security better than
you are, and you don't lose your bitcoins if your hard drive crashes
without a backup.