[Noisebridge-discuss] How close do I need to get with amperage?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Fri Dec 21 01:51:47 UTC 2012

Hrm... isn't it the other way around?

Normally, when I'm choosing a suppy, I look for something at an
appropriate voltage and then see if it can supply at least enough
current to meet the power draw of the device's load.

Danger and risk will really depend on how sensitive the hardware is
and what kind of filtering, supplies, and power conversion is going on
inside.

Most non-cheap modern-ish things seems to have pretty flexible
semiconductor regulators that'll take 7 - 20v and do the needful.
For example, I would feel comfortable feeding a 5v, 500mA (5v * 0.5 A
= 2.5 Watts) device with a 7v, 400mA (7v * 0.4 A = 2.8 Watts) supply.

Cheers,
jof